If your college is treating military spouses just like your veterans students, you need to make a change!
- As of August 1, 2009, nearly 2 million military spouses and family members became eligible for higher education benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Statistics from the Department of Veterans Affairs report that nearly 20 percent of people using Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits are spouses and dependents of military service members, which equates to close to $3 billion spent by the VA for transferred benefits.
A 2011 Summary and Recommendations report from the National Military Family Association Summit stated the top five most commonly cited significant life events for military spouses include:
1) Deployed family member often on combat missions
2) Financial setbacks
3) Reintegrating family members after deployment
4) Frequent Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves
5) Spouse losing her/his job with every PCS